Saturday, September 17, 2005

XFCE the fast Desktop on Linux.

Hi,

The popular desktops KDE and Gnome available on Linux are slow to load on any Linux distribution. I have only 128 Mb RAM, therefore, I decided to switch to XFCE desktop. After login the XFCE desktop loads within 10 seconds. The applications also load faster.

I use more than one keyboard layout. I could add the keyboard layout switcher to the panel but found only the default keyboard layout, although, I had alreadt added another keyboard layout while working in Gnome. After searching I found the answer on XFCE Wiki under Tips, Tricks and Howtos.

There are so many plugins on Xfce Goodies
I added laptop battery monitor and weather update to my desktop.

Xfce is really a light feature rich desktop.

kagashe

2 comments:

Zenwalker said...

Have you tried Zenwalk, which supports XFCE? Trust me, the latest 4.8, youll be surprised the fast that Zen and XFCE delivers?

zenwalk.org

Kamalakar Agashe said...

Hello zenwalker
Thanks for the comment.

I could not see your profile. This is an old post on my Blog. I have tried Zenwalk since then and found it faster then Xubuntu.

Air India direct flight to San Fransisco has flown through China today.

 My sister in law left for San Fransisco by AI 173 flight which flows over North Pole. I tracked that flight on flightstats.com till it land...